Tuesday 5 June 2012

The clock is ticking down...

Hello! Welcome to anyone reading this! I hope you enjoy anything I post here from my travels. I will be going to Japan for a few months to tour and explore as much as I can, while also visiting my sister (yay!), and then moving on to the UK to try and live for a while! I also hope to make many ventures into Europe and see as much as I can.

It is now less than a week until I leave on my adventure. It still doesn’t feel real… even though I have now left my job, said goodbye to my friends and most of my family, and have packed up half my room in boxes. It probably doesn’t help that I haven’t started packing my bags yet, or booked most of my accomodation for my trip! Here’s hoping it starts to sink in over the next few days… :D

It has taken quite a while to get to this point. Over the past few years I have been studying and working towards applying for the JET Programme (Japan Exchange Teaching) as I would love to be able to experience a year abroad and teach English to kids in a culture completely foreign to me. Although I went through the process, sent in my application and waited, I didn’t quite make it. I decided though that I wouldn’t let this stop me from going overseas, and decided to divert to the UK instead. I may still apply for the JET Programme again, but I think I should get a bit of life experience behind me first! So I went through another application process and managed to secure a working visa for the UK. I didn’t let myself get my hopes up, as I had been let down before (although I hadn’t let myself get excited for the JET Programme either - I knew it had high competition), but I don’t think it had quite hit me how much I wanted to go until I had the returned envelope from the UK Embassy in my hand, and tipped out my passport, hands shaking, and saw the visa had been approved. I was pretty glad I was alone really, as I just started laughing and sobbing with excitement.

So now here I am, ready to start my adventure. I hope it has a lot of exciting moments and that I become a better person by doing it. Here goes!!

2 comments:

  1. It has taken a while but here you are, ready to go, Day -1. Very exciting, good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have watched over the years your dreams grow and now it has become a reality. Have the most exciting journey ever. As I always say, who dares WINS.

    ReplyDelete